[tex-live] kpsewhich uses huge amount of memory and CPU

Jörg Frauendiener joergf at maths.otago.ac.nz
Wed Mar 21 19:47:41 CET 2012

Hi,

>> here is the output of kpsewhich
>>
>> kepler:~> which kpsewhich
>> /usr/texbin/kpsewhich
>>
>> The version of the Preference pane is v.2.0 (Build 151)
>>
>> I'll try the FixMacTeX thingy later today.
>>
>> Thanks, Jorg
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I guess I'm anxious to find out if the problem has been corrected.
>
> Did you install from the TeX Live DVD? I think that may be the only place where (Build 151) of the preference pane was installed. Unfortunately, once you burn it onto DVD you can't correct that build. The downloaded version of the MacTeX installer (~1.8GB!!!) can be obtained from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/> but the FixMacTeX2011 pkg should do the job so there is no need to re-install.

I installed the 150 version of the pref-pane yesterday on my 10.6 machine and updated the tex distribution via tex Live Utility. No problem appeared. Did the same on my MBP just now, also no problem. That is promising.
However, I am not quite sure whether it is already conclusive because  the update was much smaller than the last time and I don't know whether it triggered all the scripts to run.
I did run the last command visible in the log window when the rogue kpsewhich command occurred
fmtutil-sys --byhyphen /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat
and that ran smoothly this time.

So I guess I'll just wait for the next bigger update.

In any case, thanks very much for your help.

Cheers, Jorg
--
Jorg Frauendiener         | Tel.: +64-3-479-7770
Mathematics & Statistics  | Fax:  +64-3-479-8427
University of Otago       | joergf at maths.otago.ac.nz
P.O. Box 56               | jorg.frauendiener at otago.ac.nz
Dunedin 9010              | http://www.maths.otago.ac.nz
Skype: frauendiener