[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 18 22:54:52 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 08:48:15PM +0000, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> the uk tex faq is released pd, but with the code you wrote for me that
> produces popups in the pdf version of the faq, istm that the faq should
> not be in tex live.

I don't see that the additional "gimmick" is a central part
of the *usefulness* of the FAQ.
  IMHO the FAQ and hyperef are both within the guidlines of TL.
They are free software and doesn't require nonfree software
for their usefulness.

> likewise scott pakin's (lppl) visualfaq, i think ... can't check from
> here with the pdf viewers i have.

IMHO visualfaq is fine, too. The links to http://www.tex.ac.uk/...
are working with xpdf, for example. The Popups are again
just "gimmick" that shows the FAQ questions, but that can
be seen on the http page anyway. And the document even offers
to disable the popups at the first page. Thus the usefulness
of the document remains without popups.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek