[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Mar 18 15:23:46 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:34:00PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> >    "rm movie15, requires acrobat"
>
> I don't know the details, but if pdfs generated with movie15 can only
> be properly viewed wirh acro*, then it is according to the policy to
> remove it.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. PDF is now an ISO standard, if FOSS reading
implementation are currently lacking support of a certain feature, why
this would be of a concern to TeXLive maintainers? As long as generating
the document does not require a non-free software.

> We have removed several times packages that need non-free stuff to be
> useful, and this policy will not change.

They need the non-free stuff to *build* the document not for it to be
viewed.

Regards,
 Khaled