[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 10:48:53 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:20, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> I noticed today that movie15 is supposed to be removed from texlive
> distribution:

I don't understand that:
    "rm movie15, requires acrobat"

As far as I understand (but I didn't dive into details) Acrobat is
only needed to render the contents, not to compile the document, and
that makes quite a difference.

And even then this is probably mostly the limitation of open source
PDF viewers not catching up with Acrobat's development.

Unless I'm wrong about this and Acrobat is indeed needed during
compilation, I find totally unfair to remove the package based on "you
need Acrobat to view the document". No PDF viewer that I'm aware of
supports JavaScript. Does that mean that all TeX packages that also
support JavaScript inside PDF have to be removed from TeX Live?

I understand the reasoning "this is obsolete, users should use a
different package offering the same functionality", but not the part
about Adobe Acrobat.

Mojca