[tex-live] TeX Live 2011 & PS_View

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Mar 16 13:13:37 CET 2012

On 2012-03-16 at 06:50:45 +0100, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

 > On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
 >
 > > Norbert Preining wrote:
 > >>
 > >> Can you be a bit more specific to Phil and tell him what he
 > >> should search for? Thanks
 > >>
 > > Not really much point, since it was easy to find what
 > > was needed (after first removing my naive user's hat),
 > > and it told me all was well, since acting on Siep's
 > > advice I had already expunged tlpsv.win32 :-)
 >
 > Ok, Phil. Have you ever tried it to preview PostScript files, or
 > even pdf with so arbitrary zoom (just to see some subtle things not
 > diplayed in AcrobatReader)?

I can understand that people prefer PDF viewers which support all the
PDF-related features which ghostscript doesn't support, such as
bookmarks and hyperlinks.

The main reason I wanted to have PSView in TeX Live is that Microsoft
doesn't provide a PostScript viewer at all.  It's quite powerful and
was written with TeX in mind.  Thus, integration into TeX Live was
possible without much effort.

Hence, I don't see any reason not to set file associations for ps and
eps.  Of course, it shouldn't happen without asking the user.  But I'm
unsure regarding the wizard installer.  Isn't it for those who don't
want to be asked?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25