[tex-live] "Update all installed" following virgin install does nothing

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Mar 16 01:22:11 CET 2012

On Fr, 16 Mär 2012, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>> Besides that there are those people that:
>> - use a rsync mirror of CTAN on their hard drive
>> - use some other mirror system
>> and all of them don't use a *network* repository but something
>> that you call "static medium", but which is updated in different
>> ways.
>
> Your argument is not entirely without merit.

Ohhhh OoHhhhh O O H H HH H HH
What do my old ears hear here? An uttering of agreement?
I will print out this email and frame it!

> something completely different.  It would not be
> unreasonable to postulate two different default
> respositories, one for additions and one for updates.

Two reasons against:
- everyone else's tunnel view? It makes it even MUCH more unclear
  what is happening
- consistency: Updating and installing needs to be in sync, cannot
  be done from different sources

> Much too early : TeX Live 2011 as released on DVD is far
> too immature to be risked.

?? There are *NO* fundamental changes between DVD and daily releases,
besides the fact that the DVD version is MUCH MORE TESTED, because
we freeze it for some time and people are using the very same DVD.

So it is actually the other way round ... it is MUCH LESS risky!

Best wishes

Norbert