[tex-live] Distributed VCS (was: Debian freeze - last chance for changes)

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jun 24 08:07:07 CEST 2012

Hi Peter,

On Sa, 23 Jun 2012, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> They will all be committed to the TL SVN after the freeze and the four bug
> fixes might make it into the branch2012 (that's for Karl to decide).

Good idea.

> pro svn:
> one can check out a subtree, very convenient for a huge monolithic
> repository as TL

Yes, that is true, that is the only thing I am missing from dvcs,
but there is support for sub-repositories in mercurial.

> pro git:
> git-log and git-blame work without network access

faster, only one directory keeps the stuff.

And the most most most most most pro for git/mercurial: branches and merges
just *work*. subversions branches are a PITA. Well, branching is easy,
but *merging* is a PITA. I tried it several times in the Debian-svn,
for development branches etc. It ended in tears and pain. And manually
porting all changes one by one over to the main branch.

This is the *one* reason I want a different system.

Best

Norbert