[tex-live] texmflocal

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 30 21:20:16 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-30 at 15:06:31 +0900, Vladimir Lomov wrote:

 > Hello,
 > ** Bernd Rellermeyer [2012-07-21 08:13:01 +0200]:
 >
 > > Hello,
 >
 > > I have two directories in TEXMFLOCAL,  using brace expansion. At least
 > > the updmap script does not work with this configuration but seems to
 > > expect only one directory. Otherwise it throws an error in line 248.
 > > Is this just a bug in updmap, or is TEXMFLOCAL meant to expand to only
 > > one single directory?
 >
 > So I wonder why are you using more than one directory in TEXMFLOCAL?
 >
 > If you have several directories with local tex/latex files and you wish
 > add them to search path there is another way.
 >
 > (I see that "workaround" proposed by Norbert Preining causes more
 > troubles than benefit).
 >
 > I can give you advice based on my experiance.
 >
 > For ordinary user
 > -----------------
 >
 > (i.e. he/she can't run 'sudo' or in other words, not administrator),
 > not font stuff:
 >
 > Let's suppose that in addition to TEXMFHOME (~/texmf) there is directory
 > ~/texmf-projects/STUFF.
 >
 > Create file `texmf.cnf' and write to it
 > TEXMFHOME=$HOME/texmf;$HOME/texmf-projects/STUFF
 >
 > Create environment variable TEXMFCNF[1] with content:
 > TEXMFCNF=$HOME;<REST>
 >
 > where <REST> is output of command
 > kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFCNF

No, setting the TEXMFCNF env var should be avoided at any price.  It's
a last resort in very rare situations.  It's too easy to break your
installation or to make it unmaintainable, at least.

If a *user* wants to add extra trees to standard search paths, then
the environment variable TEXINPUTS should be used as described in
section 7.1.4 of the TeX Live Guide.  And don't forget the leading or
trailing colon.

In general, if you need to extend your system, the least invasive
solution is always the best one.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25