[tex-live] changed hyphenation after update to texlive 2012

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 22:58:22 CEST 2012

Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/7/13 Achim Blumensath <blumensath at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just updated from texlive 2007 to texlive 2012 and noticed that the
> > hyphenation for British has changed. A minimal example is
>
> 2007 -> 2012 is a big change. Maybe someone has better memory but as I
> remember a few years ago it turned out that the license for Britich
> hyphenation patters was not free and the file was replaced with
> another one. It may be the reason.
>
> >   \documentclass{article}
> >   \usepackage[british]{babel}
> >   \begin{document}
> >   \showhyphens{consequence}
> >   \end{document}
> >
> > The old hyphenation is "con-se-quence" while the new one is "con-sequence".
> > (The log files for both versions are attached.)
> >
> > As far as I can see the hyphenation patterns themselves have not
> > changed: the files
> >
> >   texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/ukhyphen.tex
> >
> > in the 2007 version and
> >
> >   texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-en-gb.tex
> >
> > in the new version are the same. Is this a bug in pdftex or is my
> > installation messed up?

i'm not entirely sure how *hyph*.tex files are transported into patterns
in formats, nowadays; the old system has certainly changed, since the
patterns are also generated for the utf-8-based engines, but how
precisely this happens, and how it might affect your example, ...

someone from the hyphenation working group may be along soon.

[btw, someone mentioned that the pattern file for uk english may have
been replaced, yet your evidence is that it hasn't...  the non-freeness
of the original derived from the oxford university press' insistence on
no change to the patterns, which were derived from oup files.]