[tex-live] installing xetex on xubuntu linux

Jean-Claude Raoult JC.Raoult at free.fr
Sun Jul 8 17:14:31 CEST 2012

     I tried several times to install xetex under Xubuntu (running on a
iMac but on a separate partition).
1) Downloading texlive-xetex needs, from a CTAN mirror, > 2400 files,
including facilities for arab, persian, cyrillic, japanese, ouigour etc.
etc.
Now I use French and English, and need nothing else.
The installation also downloads latex, context, zozotex etc. I do not
need those, and use only Plain XeTeX, with much better results than my
colleagues who use LaTeX.

2) Therefore, I removed everything and tried Synaptic. That was better:
only six-seven packages (including the doc, in French and English). But
the dependencies were not managed suitably, and I got the messages
(sorry, I am french)

E: texlive-binaries: le sous-processus script post-installation installé
a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 127

E: texlive-doc-base: le sous-processus script post-installation installé
a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1

E: texlive-base: problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré

E: texlive-doc-fr: problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré

E: texlive-latex-base: problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré

E: texlive-latex-base-doc: le sous-processus script post-installation
installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1

E: texlive-luatex: problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré

E: texlive-xetex: problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré

The  dependence tree can be seen nowhere, even though I was told by
synaptic that the download order was important. By the way, even there,
latex and luatex were apparently needed (?)
Anyhow, nothing could run, using TeXworks (on the contrary, everything
runs properly on the Mac system).

TeX is nice, and XeTeX even more so, for the easy use of any font; but
there should exist a minimal package for people needing only XeTeX and
their own language (plus English, say).

                     Jean-Claude Raoult

_____
Why make it simple, when one can make it complicated ? (english proverb)