[tex-live] ~/texmf or ~/.texlive2011 , directory of my fonts and style ?

waterloo waterloo2005 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:26:56 CET 2012

I install texlive2011 from iso file to my ubuntu 11.10 manually.
When installing , I set up base tex directory to /media/bak/texlive2011.
I remember , It says fonts and styles of myself will put into ~/texmf .
But when I put my fonts into ~/texmf , run 'tlmgr generate updmap ... ' and
updmap , the fonts can not display correctly.

If I put my fonts to ~/.texlive2011 , run 'tlmgr generate updmap ... ' and
updmap , the fonts work.

Can someone explain this ?

Thanks