[tex-live] "Bug": problems with dmacron in pdfTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:26:17 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 23:50, Karl Berry wrote:
>    Is there any chance to convince pdfTeX to accept /dcroat as a glyph
>    name?  [like dmacron]
>
> Seems like a question for Thanh to me.  Thanh?
> (If you want to see Mojca's whole email, it is at
> http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2012-January/030890.html.)
>
> FWIW, I see the string "dmacron" occurs twice in the file
> texk/web2c/pdftexdir/macnames.c, and nowhere else in pdftexdir.
> Interesting.  I never came across that file before.
>
> However, Mojca, maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that
> even if such a change is made, we couldn't rely on it for the gentium
> package, because no one will have the fixed pdftex.  We want the package
> to work with pdftex pre-2012, after all.

I have created two different enc files, so Gentium works now. This is
an ugly workaround, but I would really really really like to see the
issue fixed in pdfTeX one day.

pdfTeX could be trained to accept any of /uni0111, /dcroat and
/dmacron if needed (but even if /dmacron wasn't accepted, I doubt that
it would hurt anyone at all).

Mojca