[tex-live] Installation without texmf-dist/doc

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Feb 18 01:57:49 CET 2012

On 2012-02-18 at 08:44:16 +0900, Vladimir Lomov wrote:

 > Hello,
 > ** Pander [2012-02-17 20:57:33 +0100]:
 >
 > > Hi all,
 >
 > > What is the proper way to install TeX Live without texmf-dist/doc which
 > > takes up about 1.1 GB
 >
 > > Thanks,
 >
 > > Pander
 >
 > The simplest way is to 'rm -fr texmf-dist/doc',

Since we have tlmgr, 'rm -rf' is never a good idea.  That would make
the database inconsistent.  It's not a solution at all because these
files come back with 'tlmgr --update'.

 > imho, tlmgr can't do that due to license terms (source, run time
 > files and doc must be presented), but I may be wrong.

The installer has an option in the options menu to do that.

BTW, Pander asked how to "install TeX Live without texmf-dist/doc".
He didn't ask how to delete files after the installation.  If disk
space is scarce, your suggestion isn't helpful at all and I'm pretty
sure that Pander knows how to delete files.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25