[tex-live] mips64el architecture for TL

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 01:02:20 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 17:03, Paul Roge <proge at riseup.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:40:51 -0600
> Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 16:55, Karl Berry wrote:
>> >    I would like to install texlive2011 for the mips64el
>> > architecture. I have read the thread
>> >    http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2011-August/029993.html.
>> > Apparently, this architecture is still unsupported by tlmgr. Is
>> > that correct?
>> >
>> > That is correct, and it won't change at this late date.
>> >
>> >    Any advice for doing the installation?
>> >
>> > I don't seem to have any url for the binaries.  Mojca, can you
>> > please send?  Sorry if I missed it.  Then I can at least link to it
>> > from the bugs page.
>>
>> I can send the files, but please keep in mind that I only have
>> "mipsel" files, no "mips64el".
>>
>> If you are using debian, can you please check that dpkg-architecture
>> returns you mipsel and not mips64el? Else my binaries won't even help
>> you.
>>
>> (Binaries were compiled on Kip Warner's laptop.)
>>
>> Mojca
>
> Hello Mojca,
>
> Yes, "dpkg-architecture returns "mipsel", not "mips64el" so you binaries would help. I  wrote mips64el because
>
> % rsync -av --delete --exclude=.svn tug.org::tldevsrc/Build/source/ ./
> % ./Build
>
> created a directory called ./inst/bin/mips64el-unknown-linux-gnu/

In my opinion this is a bug in config.guess, but the developers claim
that config.guess should return type of processor (you probably do
have 64-bit processor, but only 32-bit OS), not the architecture being
used. However they do approximately the contrary for darwin.

So config.guess is as-good-as-useless in this particular situation,
but if I remember correctly, Karl changed mips* to mipsel for TeX
Live.

Mojca