[tex-live] Problems with texlive install on MacOS X 10.4.11

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 13:00:48 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 17:25, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2012-02-11 at 23:58:57 +0100, Yannis Haralambous wrote:
>
>  > Thanks, we will do that!
>
>  > It would be nice if the install script could notify the user that
>  > the package is not compatible (after all the platform is called
>  > "universal-darwin", and as proven by our misfortune, universality
>  > is relative in this case).
>
> Hi Yannis,
> I fully agree.  The installer runs config.guess in order to determine
> the platform.  The directory names in bin/ (such as i386-linux) are
> assembled from its output and the installer checks whether such a
> directory exists in the distribution.  Maybe the <CPU>-<OS> scheme is
> ambiguous on OS X and more information from config.guess need to be
> taken into account.
>
> Could you please install
>
>  http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/config.guess
>
> in a temporary directory on that machine and send us its output?

This is not needed and won't help. It is not config.guess's fault. The
binaries were compiled on Leopard and (partially deliberately) without
compatibility for Tiger.

The only option is to download an older version of TeX Live/MacTeX or
to compile your own binaries on Tiger and use those (or install TeX
Live via MacPorts or some other package manager).

Mojca