[tex-live] cygwin install of tetex-20120119 broken.

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Feb 5 20:55:07 CET 2012

On 2012-02-05 at 18:09:20 +0000, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > George --
 >
 > Almost all of what you are doing is way outside my area of expertise,
 > but one thing strikes me as very odd.  You write :
 >
 > >        The CygWin installer has brought a new set of
 > > tetex-packages into its list this weekend.  These are
 > > all associated with tetex-20120119.  This replaced all
 > > of my previous tetex-3.0.0-3, but has suceeded in giving
 > > me a broken tetex installation.
 >
 > and my question is : is there really a tetex-20120119
 > (i.e., a version of tetex dated 19th January 2012).
 >
 > The reason I ask is that I understood that Thomas
 > Esser ceased work on tetex many moons ago (2006,
 > in fact [1]), and it therefore seems very odd
 > indeed that there should now be a tetex release
 > dated 2012.

I suppose that they are maintaining a subset of TeX Live and use the
name tetex in order to indicate that it's not a complete TeX Live.

George, TeX Live has binaries for CygWin too.  You can try to install
TeX Live instead of tetex.

Another alternative is to install vmware-player and install Linux in a
virtual machine.  This is what I'm doing now.  Installation is as easy
as CygWin, but a lot of problems with CygWin's way of emulation are
avoided.  You can also make Windows directories accessible to virtual
machines.  I used CygWin in the past but IMO Vmware is a much better
solution.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25