[tex-live] Every fourth or five ftp attempt in tlmgr ... fails

Bernhard Kleine bernhard.kleine at gmx.net
Tue Dec 18 21:03:13 CET 2012

Am Montag, den 17.12.2012, 20:30 -0400 schrieb George N. White III:
> I've seen this quite often (Scientific Linux and OSX) at a campus with
> a "corporate firewall".   Sometimes disabling tcp window scaling
> helps.
>

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Bernhard Kleine
> <bernhard.kleine at gmx.net> wrote:
>         Dear all,
>
>         while updating using tlmgr --gui this morning I noticed again
>         that every
>         fourth or fifth package is not obtained by ftp but by wget.
>         That does
>         not directly pose a problem. However, the time spent by tlmgr
>         for
>         finding out that ftp does not work and wget has to be used is
>         more than
>         40 seconds. Thus the update takes much longer than necessary.
>
>         See below the error. I hope that I am not the only one where
>         this
>         occurs. System is Ubuntu 12.04 on amd_x64 Linux.
>
>         Kind regards
>
>         Bernhard
>
>         Useless content call in void context
>         at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol/ftp.pm line 379
>         TLDownload::get_file: response error:
>           400 FTP return code 000
>         permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
>         succeed!
>         Retrying with wget.

Hi George,

this is still strange: 80 % of the ftp calls are correctly executed, one
fifth is not. I am sitting behind my private "Fritzbox! 6340 cable"
router with a single PC attached to it. The internet provider is
Kabel-BW.

I had been thinking about a timing problem in tlmgr. What do the others
think?

Greetings from the Black Forest!
Bernhard