[tex-live] psutils maintenance

Reuben Thomas rrt at sc3d.org
Tue Dec 18 00:12:00 CET 2012

On 17 December 2012 23:01, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> Hi Reuben and all,
>
> 1) I talked with Angus most recently in 2011 and 2010.  His email
> address then was his first name at knackered.org.

That's one I tried.

 I'll append the mail with his intentions for psutils.

Thanks for that; the mention of GPL is particularly welcome, as although
his home-spun license seems to have satisfied debian-licensing, having a
recognised license would be easier.

> situation.  New url for psutils is evidently
> http://knackered.org/angus/psutils/

It seems to be just the same 1.17 stuff, other than the pre-2.0 repo, which
I don't propose to look at. (The main obvious shortcoming of PSUtils is
that it doesn't have a proper parser. I see that there's one in Apache
Commons which can do what PSUtils does (indeed, it has example code for
page selection). On the other hand, it's easier to make PSUtils cope with
malformed stuff (at least, I suspect).) Hence if I were going to write
PSUtils too I'd probably use that parser (and certainly not write in C);
meanwhile, PSUtils probably still has a use for a) old friends, b) people
without a wide range of development tools (i.e. just C), and c) dodgy
documents.

and you can see the TL stuff at

> http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/utils/psutils/
> if you don't feel like messing with Subversion.

Thanks; I already "messed with Subversion"!

> I think my suggestion would be for you (Reuben) to write to Angus and
> offer to take over psutils 1 as you've suggested.  Sounds great to me.

I did that yesterday or so.

Thanks for your help, Karl, as ever.