[tex-live] psutils maintenance

Reuben Thomas rrt at sc3d.org
Mon Dec 17 11:58:48 CET 2012

On 17 December 2012 10:47, Robin Fairbairns
<Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk>wrote:

> Dr. Werner Fink <werner at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > just one remark: do you have announced this also to the TeXLive upstream.
> > This because they using also some sort of patches.  Maybe it would help
> > to use only one upstream line.  Beside this I've a patch around written
> > by Stanislav Brabec which allows page flipping (i.e. mirroring) with
> pstops.
>
> tex live would ordinarily take their stuff via ctan.

In other words, I'd need to try to get CTAN to accept a release from me.

> fwiw, my notes still claim that angus duggan maintains the package.
> i've not heard from him for ages, and i last saw him (he lived in
> cambridge back then) some time in the 90s...

I've tried and failed to get in contact with Angus. The last release of
psutils was in 1997, as far as I can tell, and I've offered to take over
maintainership. Failing that, I'm now attempting a friendly takeover
("friendly" in the sense that I'll happily defer to Angus if he does pop
up, but in the mean time I'm claiming to be the new maintainer of an
apparently abandoned project. (To repeat for new readers: I've simply
applied all the patches I can find, modernized and simplified the code,
replaced the build system with automake/autoconf, and overhauled the
documentation; I have no intention to change or add to the core
functionality; the result is at: https://github.com/rrthomas/psutils )

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org