[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Fri Aug 24 03:29:59 CEST 2012

Dear Joachim,

> Meanwhile I'm still trying to understand the root cause of Ulrike's
> problem, not having a Windows system where xindy is installed. She
> writes the problematic value is set in system control -- is it
> really set there with double quotes? Are quotes part of the env var
> value that is passed to the Perl script?

In Unix shell, for example, in
export VAR="a b"
double quotes are removed and $VAR==a b, as it should be.
In cmd.exe, however, after
set VAR="a b"
echo %VAR%
gives
"a b"
This is one of peculiar features of cmd.exe.

I think xindy.pl can remove the double quotes in ENV's, if they
exist in MSWin case, before calling tmpnam().

Thanks,
Akira