[tex-live] Finding files with texlive

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 23:54:07 CEST 2012

2012/8/17 Rummel, Jeff <jeff.rummel at emory.edu>:
> I have tried everything I can think of, so it is probably something obvious.
> I thought it would be wise to migrate from PCTeX to the texlive
> implementation, since it seems to be a standard installation.  I have a
> search path in PCTeX that includes the parent of the current directory (\..)
> and a directory where I keep my LaTeX styles.
>

> I read through the documentation and thought that texlive would look in
> TEXMFHOME for my styles.  I ran
>
> Kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFHOME
>

> thinking that is where pdfLaTeX would look when I click the typeset button
> in TeXworks.   So the document starts
>
> \documentclass{jlrhandouts}
>

> And jlrhandouts.cls is in the directory c:/Users/jrummel/texmf, but
> TeXworks says file not found.  I tried

It should be in c:/Users/jrummel/texmf/tex (or in its subdirctory).
You will find all searched directories by:

 kpsewhich -format=pdflatex -show-path=tex

> Set TEXINPUTS=c:\Users\jrummel\texmf
>

> with and without the trailing semicolon.  I am at a loss about what to do
> next.  And then I have to figure out how to get the parent directory into my
> search.

Parent directory is not searched for purpose. Access to arbitrary
directories is potential security risk. You should decide what you
allow programs to do and set it in texmf.cnf (or it can be also
overridden by command line options, at least for some programs)

> Why doesn't TeX Live Manager 2012 have something in it for Windows users who
> want to point to some directories in a simple way?

No one has written it so far.

> Thanks for any help.
>

> --jeff.
>
> Jeff Rummel  (jrummel at emory.edu)