[tex-live] About 'TEXMFCNF' env var

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 05:25:48 CEST 2012

Hello,

TeX Live manual discourages users to set `TEXMFCNF' env var (Sec. 7.1.2
"Config files") and in recent discussion on the ML several people
dislike the idea to use it as well.

AFAIU, this is mainly because usual user (not advanced or experienced)
may screw up the whole TeX Live installation.

Some time ago I wrote a (private) note about the use of `TEXMFCNF' to
manage multiple texmf trees and now I want to update it explicitly
describe sources of possible troubles.

The list below is what come to my mind:

If you set `TEXMFCNF' env var then you may get troubles
1. if you assign incorrect value for the env;
2. if you assign wrong value(s) in `texmf.cnf' found somewhere in
   `$TEXMFCNF' search path.

To find out the origin of trouble in this case (troubleshoot the
problem) you have to check both items:
1. unset the `TEXMFCNF' variable, run a terminal and do ... (precise
   steps);
2. if item #1 solve the problem then something wrong with you
   `texmf.cnf' file; check the ... (precise steps).

Any other source of troubles and how to solve them?

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
FORTUNE'S FUN FACTS TO KNOW AND TELL:		#14
	The Baby Ruth candy bar was not named after George Herman "The Babe"