[tex-live] ctan->tl updates caught up

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Fri Aug 3 14:38:17 CEST 2012

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> I cannot answer. I switched from DOS+Windows 3.0 to OS/2 in 1994, thus
> I do not know the Windows specific details. Maybe I have old notes how
> it worked on DOS but most probably, if I still keep them, they may be
> on an old 5 1/4" diskette for which I do not have a drive any longer.

OK, but it was not a Windows question (particularly as we already
know from Tomek that that step may be omitted on Windows without
any obvious harm).  It is a more general question, applicable to
any operating system.  Q1 :  When TAR creates a file, does it set
"last modified" to "time created", as it has not yet been modified.
And Q2 :  If so, why is it then necessary to adjust "last modified"
as a separate step ?

** Phil.