[tex-live] dvipdfmx on CentOS 5.6 (glibc 2.5)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Apr 15 00:56:20 CEST 2012

    I hope this is the right list for this issue - I couldn't find another
    one that was more appropriate.

Norbert, is there a Japanese TeX users list where Karen could get help
on Japanese-specific issues?

    advice to others in this
    situation is to avoid changing what's on the given machine

FWIW, I agree with that advice, so your subsequent efforts in building
are hopefully not wasted :).

    *Is there a build of dvipdfmx that works with glibc 2.5? Or do I
    need to build my own?*

I guess you need to build your own.  I am somewhat surprised that only
dvipdfmx complains, since all the binaries were built on the same
system.  But whatever.

    I wish I could "see" the test dvi somehow to know that uptex

Try running pdvitype foo.dvi.  At least it should parse the DVI file,
although the results are just a textual version of the input.

    there is no such thing as "uppdftex".

As I understand it, the necessities of Japanese typesetting make it
impractical, and dvipdfmx is ubiquitious.

    dvi2tty: Id-byte is not correct: 3
    dvipng: ...

I'm not surprised those usual programs cannot handle the Japanese .dvi
files.  In a way, they should have a different extension (.pdvi),
because they simply aren't Knuthian DVI files.

Hope this helps,
Karl