[tex-live] uninitialized line number in pdfTeX

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:23:40 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 04:05:09PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:

> Appendix: how to reproduce the bug.  Here is the minimal source file
> I've been able to find, call it wprob.tex:

> \input texinfo
>
> @macro sourceimage{FILENAME,WIDTH,HEIGHT,ALTTEXT}
> @image{\FILENAME\,\WIDTH\,\HEIGHT\,\ALTTEXT\}
> @end macro
>
> @sourceimage{nosuchimage,,,}
>
> @bye
>
> Then, run with environment variables to make the failure reliable:
> env MALLOC_CHECK_=3 MALLOC_PERTURB_=69 \
> etex --file-line-error --interaction=nonstopmode wprob.tex
>
> (Without setting the MALLOC_ envvars, or on non-glibc platforms, the
> value might be garbage, or it might be 0, or who knows.)

With etex I got "0", with pdftex 1075325564.
Therefore I have stripped down the example to a simple iniTeX file
for pdfTeX (requires e-TeX because of \scantokens):

%---------------------
\catcode`\{=1
\catcode`\}=2
\catcode`\#=6

\def\err#1{%
  \errmessage{Could not open file #1}%
}
\scantokens{
  \err{NoSuchFile.eps}
}
\end

env MALLOC_CHECK_=3 MALLOC_PERTURB_=69 \
  pdftex --ini --etex --file-line-error wprob.tex

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek