[tex-live] [lltx] Updating TeXLive 2010 using tlgmr

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:32:09 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/09/2011, at 6:26 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
>> On 2011-09-13 at 17:03:23 +0200, SKL wrote:
>>
>>> Checking some discussion boards I believe that this might be a bug
>>> in XeTex - I am not using any of the LM fonts AFAIK as I have
>>> substituted everything with Apple fonts, but nevertheless XeTeX
>>> requires those fonts to be present for some reason (of course it
>>> might also be that I am still using LM in some of the less obvious
>>> places because I failed to specify a correct font, but I am not
>>> sure how to test for this
>
> [snip]
>
>> It doesn't happen with
>> ---------------------------------
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage{mathpazo}
>> \stop
>> ---------------------------------
>> , presumably because mathpazo correctly switches to Palatino before
>> switching to T1.  It would be nice if fontspec can do the same.
>
> Nope, mathpazo doesn't switch to T1 at all.
>
> I've read through this thread and I can't figure out what fontspec is doing wrong here. Years ago there was an option to not load the LM fonts, but don't minimal TeX installations come with LM by default?

Not all "minimal/basic" distributions include LM.  I assume people
using those small SSD drives and creating documents that only need
system fonts hope to avoid installing the 12 MB lm.tar.xz package.

> FWIW, the code that fontspec uses to select Latin Modern is
>
> %<xetexx>\tl_set:Nn \g_fontspec_encoding_tl {EU1}
> %<luatex>\tl_set:Nn \g_fontspec_encoding_tl {EU2}
> \tl_set:Nn \rmdefault {lmr}
> \tl_set:Nn \sfdefault {lmss}
> \tl_set:Nn \ttdefault {lmtt}
> \RequirePackage[\g_fontspec_encoding_tl]{fontenc}
>
> Are you saying there should there be a \normalfont before loading fontenc?

It is useful to be able to rely on some basic set of fonts -- enough to format
canonical examples such as sample2e.tex and story.tex -- but that should not
require a big chunk of an expensive SSD.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia