[tex-live] Updating TeXLive 2010 using tlgmr

SKL nn99876 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:03:23 CEST 2011

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:36, SKL wrote:
>>
>> PS. In case someone suggests it, I have upgraded to TL2011 Basic. However, I am using XeTeX (because I want to use the Apple fonts, not the TeX fonts) and this seems to be broken in the LT Basic version (the Latin Modern fonts seem to be missing - not too sure, I am way too noob to understand LaTeX error messages). I dont have enough disk space for the full TL2011 installation which might (or might not...) solve the problem.
>
> The Latin Modern fonts are most certainly there, but they are not
> installed to system folders. You could use them, but you need a
> different syntax. A simple \fontspec{Latin Modern} won't do since
> XeTeX cannot search for font names in texmf tree.

Checking some discussion boards I believe that this might be a bug in XeTex - I am not using any of the LM fonts AFAIK as I have substituted everything with Apple fonts, but nevertheless XeTeX requires those fonts to be present for some reason (of course it might also be that I am still using LM in some of the less obvious places because I failed to specify a correct font, but I am not sure how to test for this

>> Bonus question: how can I install the Latin Modern fonts with minimal overhead on TL2011 Basic?
>
> Locate them (if you installed MacTeX, they are under
> /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/; if you
> installed manually, you should be able to locate them under the same
> subpath), double click on (all) otf files (that is: open them with
> Font Book) and click install.

I guess this is where the issue lies: I do not have MacTeX installed but MacTeX Basic from http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/morepackages.html so it install into .../texlive/2011basic/... rather than into .../texlive/2011/... and whilst the directory you described in 2010 basic indeed contains the lm fonts

/usr/local/texlive/2010basic/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public
mbp:public$ ll
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  74 root  wheel  -  2.5K Sep 14  2010 lm/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  -  102B Sep 14  2010 philokalia/
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel  -  238B Jul  8 00:42 skaknew/

It does not contain them in the 2011 distro

/usr/local/texlive/2011basic/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public
mbp:public$ ll
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  -  102B Aug  3 17:25 philokalia/