[tex-live] Fontconfig for XeTeX versus regular fontconfig

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 28 01:16:49 CEST 2011

    Probably, but what is the reason for shipping both opentype and freetype
    versions of gnu-freefont?

Because that is how the GNU freefont maintainer (Steve White) releases
his package.  It's not my job, as a TL maintainer, to choose between
them.  I can imagine both can be useful.  And that they may not
necessarily be equivalent.

    The configuration proposed by the documentation
    leads to corrupted glyphs in the best case.

As far as I can make out, if XeTeX didn't have the bug, there would be
no corruption.  Maybe you can work on a patch?

Another option for people running into the problem is not install
gnu-freefont, and any other fonts with the same problem.  I'm not going
to filter for this.