[tex-live] failed messages on updating texlive2011

ravi rv15cap at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 12:39:24 CEST 2011

Hi list experts,
Thanks for replies and inputs from a number of experts. Yes, I must plead
guilty to being a total rookie as far as bash and linux are concerned. Some
of you are right when you state that you cannot expect to hand-hold and
baby-sit for people about linux fundamentals. Thanks for some of links that
I obtained for brushing up on linux basics. I do plan to look it up. That
said, there is so much stuff out there that I get overwhelmed. If I start
with something, make a mistake or two and then if I get nudged towards what
is right, my learning path becomes easier. So, what I am saying is - thanks.
By all means, yell at me and point me to me to some links for me to do my
homework. But I would appreciate if you had a little, little bit of patience
with me.

> > chown -R "$USER" /usr/local/texlive
> Well, you did install it initially as root, how can you expect
> that you can change *afterwards* files as normal user? Of course
> you got access denied errors.
>
> Sometimes I ask myself why people don't know the difference
> between root and normal user, and why we have to do Unix consulting jobs?

Actually, the command that worked for me was :
 sudo chown -R "$USER" /usr/local/texlive
I don't know if this explanation does anything to soften your irritation. I
may add that after I installed from the iso, I added the following :

MANPATH=$MANPATH:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf/doc/man

export MANPATH

INFOPATH=$INFOPATH:/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf/doc/info

export INFOPATH

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux

export PATH

Can you send
>        /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.log
> ?

 I am attaching the above file.

Or first take a look for yourself, maybe there is something obvious in
> it.

I am sorry. I am afraid that my level is such I would miss it, even if it
were obvious.

> And by theway, the output of
>        tlmgr conf
> please send also!!!!!