[tex-live] [luatex] Ignored italic correction with lua(la)tex format

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Oct 8 00:05:31 CEST 2011

On 2011-10-07 at 00:01:52 +0100, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

 > >                                               I don't think catcodes
 > > are the right thing in order to determine where to apply italic
 > > correction.
 >
 >   They are for hyphenation...

I must admit that it's unclear to me where catcodes are involved.  I
would expect that hyphenation works on character codes only.  At which
point are catcodes involved?  Anyway, hyphenation is applied between
letters, and letters always have catcode 11.  This seems to be safe
because when I set \catcode`\e=12 , I break the system anyway (can't
even say \bye).

As far as italic correction is concerned, I'm even more clueless.  An
italic correction is applied if one switches from an italic font to an
upright font.  Font switching is usually done by a (La)TeX command,
such as \emph{}.  If catcodes are involved, does LuaTeX insert italic
correction automatically?  If yes, when?  What I'm concerned about is
that, for instance, an exclamation mark can have catcode 11 if one
want to use it in control sequence names, or catcode 12 otherwise.
I would expect to get the same amount of kerning in both cases.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25