[tex-live] TeX Live 2010 : "Update all installed" leads to endless (manual) loop

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Oct 6 19:24:34 CEST 2011

I have no wish to migrate to TeX Live 2011 at this stage
(I prefer to wait until its end-of-life freeze), but do
wish to ensure that my TeX Live 2010 installation is up-to-date
(w.r.t. its freeze release, that is).

I launch TLMGR, and select "Update all installed";
it tells me :

  0010	Updates for the tlmgr are present
	Installation and updates won't work without being forced
	Please select "Update all installed" after dismissing this dialogue

	The program will terminate after the upgrade
	Then you can restart the program for further updates

	At least 406 further updates are available after tlmgr has been updated

	Please wait a bit after the program has terminated so that the update can be completed

	[OK]

I press [OK]
it tells me

	Critical updates have been installed
	Program will terminate now
	Please restart if necessary

	[OK]

I press OK

	Two red bits of text disappear (texlive.infra and tlperl.win32)
	The program disappears.

I re-launch TLMGR
I select "Update all installed"
it tells me :