[tex-live] TEXMFHOME when using install-tl on a Mac

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnnl.gov
Wed Oct 5 21:26:21 CEST 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 11:51, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>    If you don't want to read the basic install documentation and just
> want to install everything in TeX Live, on a Unix-like system, a
> minimal recipe follows. Special considerations for Windows are
> described separately. For MacOSX, we recommend installing MacTeX,
> which contains all of TeX Live (and a few Mac-specific additions).

An additional way to install TL on Mac OS is to use TeX Live Utility,
which has the default variables for TEXMFHOME, TEXMFVAR, TEXMFCONFIG
set to the same values used by MacTeX.  It's still not very
user-friendly, but editing TEXDIR (IIRC) will let you install
anywhere you have write permission.  The install feature isn't
enabled by default, though:

http://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/wiki/AdvancedFeatures

Unfortunately, I just noticed that editing of text variables was
broken, so it won't be working until the next beta.  Oops.

--
Adam