[tex-live] latex2html

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 17:20:15 CET 2011

Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Bob Tennent wrote:
>
> > I'm just wondering why this isn't in TeXLive. I realize tex4ht is
> > generally better and that latex2html doesn't use TeX itself but in some
> > Linux distributions the latex2html package will *depend* on a full
> > installation of something hopelessly out-of-date like texlive-2007 or
> > tetex which complicates installation.
>
> I'm betting that the license is too restrictive for TeX Live.

no; it is (and always has been[*]) gpl.  much more likely the issue is
ensuring it can run on all platforms, imo.

> You can still get it from CTAN (last updated 2008) and manually install it.

sure, but that's not bob's concern: the issue is linux distributions
that were put together when methuselah was young, and which haven't been
attended to since.

robin

[*] since ever i knew about it -- sometime in the late 80s, i guess.