[tex-live] pretest'11 begin

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue May 31 13:43:23 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Robin Fairbairns
<Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This morning (Tues., May 31) the tlpretest mirrors I tried:
>>
>> <http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub//texlive/tlpretest-2011/>
>> <http://mirror.hmc.edu/tlpretest/>
>>
>> are empty!  <http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors/texlive/tlpretest/> has
>> contents, but is
>> very slow from the opposite side of the world.
>
> ctex (the only mirror in europe!) has spent a lot of this morning
> rejecting me, but has at last permitted me to download the install-tl
> tar, but i've not yet got the installer to work.
>
> is the structure /local/texlive/201[01] expected to give problems?  the
> installer doesn't seem to like me having a 2010 install :-(

On my Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 box the installer detected the existing
/usr/local/texlive/2010 install (the "bin/<arch>" directory was in the PATH)
and offered to copy the settings, so I don't think there is a problem with
having both 2010 and 2011 directories.

The "copying" of the existing settings did take the existing texmfcnf.lua
which has a reference to the 2010 directory, so it wouldn't surprise me
that any other config files with hard-coded 2010 directories might mess
up the installes for 2011.

> robin the hamfisted

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia