[tex-live] TeX Live 2011 on Solaris Intel: three problems

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:59:15 CEST 2011

2011/5/31 Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>

> Hi Nelson,
>
> Thanks for the report, of course.
>
>    It looks like  this version was built on  OpenSolaris (11) rather than
>    Sun Solaris (10).
>
> Apostolos Syropoulos has been volunteering the last few years to build
> the i386-solaris (and x86_64-solaris) binaries for TL.  I assume
> Solaris 11 is the version he had available.  In the absence of another
> volunteer (you? :) to build binaries on S.10, I don't see the situation
> changing.  I cc AS for his comments ...

 Hello,

It is true that I compile on the last version of OpenSolaris that was
publicly
available from Oracle. I understand that there are few people who still use
Solaris 10, but the majority of people use either Solaris 11 Express
(by Oracle) or OpenIndiana/Illumos (the OpenSource fork). Unfortunately,
I have no machine running Solaris 10 at my disposal. This OS is outdated
and lacks certain features. In addition, someone has asked me to use
Solaris Studio instead of gcc. The answer is that whether we like it or
not most people who develop open source tools use gcc, and since all
versions of Solaris come with some (outdated) version of gcc it is a
matter of creating two symlinks:

# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6
# ln -s /usr/sfw/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1

Now this would imply that still people would not be able to use xdvi, but I
am sure that some previous TeXLive contained a xdvi binary compiled on
Solaris 10. I suppose we can include this binary in the next realese as well
as the Solaris 11 binary.  Finally, asy does not compile on Solaris 10 as
this system does include certain features.

All the best,

A.S
--
Apostolos Syropoulos