[tex-live] problem with babel package

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Tue May 24 20:03:40 CEST 2011

Am 20.05.2011 um 10:56 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:

> 2011/5/20 Philipp Stephani <st_philipp at yahoo.de>:
>>
>> Am 20.05.2011 um 09:32 schrieb Norbert Preining:

>>> So are the Debian packagers, namely me, acting both upstrream and
>>> as Debian packager.
>>>
>>> If not more people step forward and actually *help* then it will be
>>> always like that. I simply have limited time and need to support
>>> the released versions in Debian with fixes, plus write tlmgr.
>>
>> I think that often the old versions are fine, and package authors should at least try to support the versions that were present in the last two TL releases. I don't think that recommending Linux users to always install TL manually is a good idea.
>>
> What do you mean by support? For instance, I found a bug in my
> package, fixed it, posted on CTAN and after a few days it was in TL.
> Now if somebody encounters the very same bug, what should I do? I can
> only refer him or her to a new version where the bug is fixed. What
> else can I do?

Perhaps something like

"To fix this until you get the new version, add

\makeatletter
<magic>
\makeatother

to the preamble."

It is OK that bugs are not fixed until the operating system is upgraded (this is the policy of the distros), but still it is nice if users are not simply told to install TL from the net or wait for two years.