[tex-live] Moving tl install directory

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu May 19 14:32:32 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-19 at 08:10:00 -0400, Joel C. Salomon wrote:

 > How much effort would it be for me to move my TeX Live (2010 on 64-bit
 > Linux, if that matters) installation from /usr/local/texlive/... to
 > (say) /opt/texlive/...?
 >
 > I was considering the following steps:
 > * Remove the current symlinks;
 > * Move the directory;
 > * Run tlmgr and recreate filename & font databases; and

The ls-R files contain relative paths, so no update necessary.  With
font databases you mean .map files?  They don't contain any paths at
all.

 > * Recreate symlinks.
 >
 > Is it actually that simple, or am I missing something that will
 > give me trouble?

It is indeed that simple.  Instead of re-creating the symlinks you can
also prepend the bin directory to path.  The symlinks are actually
only for those who don't know how to set environment variables.

Without the symlinks it's easier to have two different versions
installed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25