[tex-live] texworks updates on darwin

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Mar 30 15:57:02 CEST 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 03:27 , T T wrote:

> The amount of platform independent support files shipped as texworks
> package increased quite a bit since the previous version.  I'm not
> sure if there is anything we can do about it.

OK, just curious.  I don't pay by the kB for downloads, anyway.  Even
if I were to install texworks, though, presumably it would drag along
its own copies of all these files.

> People not wanting it
> can always (forcefully, if necessary) remove it from their
> installations.

Sure, but I'm hesitant to remove it if other packages are really
dependent on it.  Tlmgr sez

 ... needed by scheme-full scheme-gust scheme-medium

Can this safely be ignored?  I don't care about scheme-gust, but
scheme-full and scheme-medium sound rather important :).

Strangely, after forcibly removing collection-texworks, it's still
using 20 MB of disk space:

$ tlmgr show collection-texworks
tlmgr: package repository http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet
package:     collection-texworks
category:    Collection
shortdesc:   The TeXworks Editor
installed:   No

$ du -sk /usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/texworks
20156	/usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/texworks

There are a bunch of PS fonts, .pyc files (for Windows?!), and
a bunch of poppler junk, including a Makefile.  Why wasn't this
removed when I removed collection-texworks?  I'm using tlmgr
from tlcritical, if that matters:

$ tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 21872 (2011-03-29 01:22:26 +0200)
tlmgr using installation: /usr/local/texlive/2010
TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2010

thanks,
Adam