[tex-live] On the TeX Live distribution and package manager for Ubuntu

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Mar 15 08:35:40 CET 2011

On Mo, 14 Mär 2011, Óscar Francisco Guajardo Garza wrote:
> I'm a Ubuntu user and I'd like to install TeX Live on my computer. I usually
> use Kile for editing my .tex files, so whenever I install it in my computer
> I am asked to install the TeX Live version available in the Ubuntu repos. Is
> it possible to use the Package Manager tlmgr with this distribution of Tex
> Live? I ask it because I don't want to go through the trouble of insalling

No. tlmgr is only useable with the original version of TeX Live at the
moment.

if you don't care for disk space, install the Ubuntu version of TeX Live
to make dpkg happy, and also install TeX Live 2010 in one of the ways
described. After that adjust the search paths (PATH environment) so that
the TeX Live 2010 version is found *before* the binaries in /usr/bin,
and thus kile will use TL 2010 automatically.

Best wishes

Norbert
BROATS
A pair of trousers with a career behind them. Broats are most commonly
seen on elderly retired army officers. Originally the brats were part
of their best suit back in the thirties; then in the fifties they were
demounted and used for gardening. Recently pensions not being what
they were, the broats have been called out of retirement and
reinstated as part of the best suit again.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff