[tex-live] Testing and Upgrading on Windows

texlive.jlists at spamgourmet.com texlive.jlists at spamgourmet.com
Tue Jun 28 14:53:48 CEST 2011

[Dominic] I did. It was just a peculiarity of spamgourmet that made it look
like a private one.

> On So, 26 Jun 2011, texlive.jlists at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> > [Dominic] Well, to me at least it seems a bit odd and uneconomical on
> > bandwidth to not only load the changed infrastructure parts, but also
> > to re-load all packages. (Some of us are asked to keep an eye on their
> > bandwidth usage.)
>
> Anyway, most packages will have to be redownloaded due to updated
> revision numbers. I am not 100% sure how much you save.

[Dominic] I would have been quite a lot (now that I compared what changed).
Anyway, I tried with a minimal set of packages and asked my local IT guy for
some extra allowance towards one of the mirrors. (see below for installation
reports)

> > [Dominic] Is there no script or will there be none? (For *nix,
> > Windows, Mac,
> > ...?) And what about updating from TL2011pre to TL2011?
>
> tl2011pre to tl2011 is fine, there will be no need to change anything.
>
> For the script: Nobody has stepped forward to write one. And we are all
> volunteers.

[Dominic] That is all I wanted to know. I read something about plans for
creating one, but could not find any notion of progress on that.

> > [Dominic] Sorry, I do not get your point. Once I installed it, it will
> > be possible to use TL2011pre, instead, yes. But what does say about
> > re-downloading about 1GB in the first place?
>
> Well, then wait for the released version and get the DVD. Do you have the
> NEED for running a pretest version?

[Dominic] I know that there will be a DVD. But my intention was to help and
test and not to sit and watch. - And this kind of comment my irony was
referring to...

> Become a member of a TeX user group, and you will most probably get the
> TeX Collection DVD which includes TeX Live. No need to download anything.

[Dominic] I really got the impression that you are not that keen on
additional testers (on a specific platform?)... But never mind. I did some
test installs and the installation had glitches - so it was a good thing in
the end to do the installation again.

Firstly, installation *from* a path with spaces fails. Tl-install fails to
find xz (probably perl as well - I could not determine which perl got used
in the end.) and thus fails to extract the downloaded containers.

On a second attempt, from a path without spaces, installation got until
tlperl and there failed as

Installing [856/931, time/total: 44:41/49:35]: tlgs.win32 [10574k]
Installing [857/931, time/total: 44:53/48:58]: tlperl.win32 [9055k]
tar: Could not change access and modification times of tlpkg/tlperl:
Permission denied
untar: untarring C:\Programs\Documents\TeXLive\2011\temp\tlperl.win32.tar
failed  (in C:\Programs\Documents\TeXLive\2011)
untarring C:\Programs\Documents\TeXLive\2011\temp\tlperl.win32.tar failed,
stopping install.
Installation failed.
Rerunning the installer will try to restart the installation.
Or you can restart by running the installer with:
  install-tl.bat --profile installation.profile [EXTRA-ARGS]
Writing log file to current working directory.
Press any key to continue . . .

A third try with -v -v to see what went wrong went through without problems
- until post-action:

Running fc-cache -v -r
finished with package specific postactions

 See
   C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/index.html
 for links to documentation.  The TeX Live web site
 contains updates and corrections: http://tug.org/texlive.

 TeX Live is a joint project of the TeX user groups around the world;
 please consider supporting it by joining the group best for you. The
 list of groups is available on the web at http://tug.org/usergroups.html.

 Welcome to TeX Live!
D:Remove temporary downloaded containers...
Can't unlink file
C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/temp/tlperl.win32.tar.xz: Permission
denied at
C:/Users/Dominic/Downloads/Downloaded/Documents/TeXLive/install-tl-20110627/
tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 830.
Can't remove directory C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/temp: Directory
not empty at
C:/Users/Dominic/Downloads/Downloaded/Documents/TeXLive/install-tl-20110627/
tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 810.
D:Profile written to
C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/tlpkg/texlive.profile
Logfile: C:/Programs/Documents/TeXLive/2011/install-tl.log
Press any key to continue . . .

There seems to be some race-condition. To avoid these, I think an option is
to use some directory inside %TEMP% (eg. %TEMP%/texlive) as location for
temporary files instead of some place within %programsdir%.

Best,
Dominic