[tex-live] TL '11; tlmgr revision 22912 (2011-06-11 06:40:36 +0200)'s list option

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Jun 20 01:40:50 CEST 2011

On So, 19 Jun 2011, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Invoking
>
> 	tlmgr list −−only−installed
> 	tlmgr list −−only−installed collections
> 	tlmgr list −−only−installed schemes
>
> does not produce a list of locally installed things but produces this
> output:
>
> 	(switching to show mode)

Strange ... Are you *sure*sure*sure*?

$ tlmgr list --only-installed schemesi scheme-basic: basic scheme (plain and LaTeX)
i scheme-context: ConTeXt scheme
i scheme-full: full scheme (everything)
i scheme-gust: GUST TeX Live scheme
i scheme-medium: medium scheme (plain, latex, recommended packages, some languages)
i scheme-minimal: minimal scheme (plain only)
i scheme-tetex: teTeX scheme (more than medium, but nowhere near full)
i scheme-xml: XML scheme
$ tlmgr list --only-installed collections
i collection-basic: Essential programs and files
i collection-bibtexextra: Extra BibTeX styles
i collection-binextra: TeX auxiliary programs
$

> 	tlmgr: package repository  http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet
> 	/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/universal-darwin/tlmgr: open(
> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb) failed:
> No such file or directory at /usr/local/texlive/2011/tlpkg/
> TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 327.

That is to be expected. That is a MacTeX peculiarity, that the actual
selected mirror is NOT saved into the tlpdb, but always passed on the
command line. If you want to use tlmgr on the command line you have
to save the used mirror (for pretest) into the tlpdb yourself with
	tlmgr option repository ....
(and not forget to change it after release and not complain here that
it searches the wrong place ;-)))))))

> Have I misunderstood the man page?

No, something is wrong in your installation or invocation.

If the last word of the command line is "collections" or "schemes" it
should NOT switch to show mode! And with my tlmgr which is the master
it does not happen.

Best wishes

Norbert