[tex-live] tlmgr still has problems handling spaces in texlive's path

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemiog at mac.com
Sun Jun 5 17:00:51 CEST 2011

Hi everybody,

As I explained in a previous thread, for reasons that are too long to explain here my TeXLive distribution's path is at /Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/local/texlive/, and the space in the path made it impossible to use tlmgr with the 2010 distribution. The current tlmgr handles spaces better, since "sudo tlmgr update --all" works, correctly telling me that I need to execute "sudo tlmgr update --self". However, the latter command miserably fails:

mbp:~ artemio$ sudo tlmgr update --self
tlmgr: package repository http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors/texlive/tlpretest
tlmgr: saving backups to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/local/texlive/2011/tlpkg/backups
[1/1, ??:??/??:??] update: texlive.infra [292k] (22642 -> 22724) ... sh: /Volumes/Macintosh: No such file or directory
_install_package: Unpacking /Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/local/texlive/2011/temp/texlive.infra.tar.xz failed, please retry.

Installation of new version of texlive.infra did fail, trying to unwind.
sh: /Volumes/Macintosh: No such file or directory
_install_package: Unpacking /Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/local/texlive/2011/temp/texlive.infra.r22642.tar.xz failed, please retry.
Restoring of old package did NOT succeed.
Most likely repair: run tlmgr install texlive.infra and hope.
done

I realize that my setup is highly unusual, but still, if this is simply an overlook perhaps it would be worth fixing it at this point. If this is not possible, is there any way to update the pretest installation short of downloading the whole thing from scratch every time there's a change?

Thanks a lot everybody,

Artemio