[tex-live] I must be missing something with TeX...

Tim Legg postfix_list at timothylegg.com
Sun Jan 30 03:01:35 CET 2011

I decided to try using TeX again.  I installed texlive-full in Ubuntu.

I also used texworks as a frontend.  I cannot find a single tutorial or
hello world type of document that will work using it.  I have probably
seen the better portion of the set of possible errors, no matter which of
the document choices I used.

There are so many splinter groups, each with their own standard and there
doesn't seem to be any cross compatibility between the document standards
(between tex, Latex, xetex, xelatex and so on)

How bad does it have to get before somebody decides that things need to be
re-organized and a common standard is developed?  Because, as it is, this
is just ridiculous.

Tim Legg