[tex-live] Cannot contact mirror.ctan.org

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jan 23 23:26:17 CET 2011

    --> LANG=C tlmgr update --all
    on a single line, or

    --> LANG=C
    --> tlmgr update --all

Just for the record, these do different things.  The former defines LANG
as an environment variable that is propagated to subprocesses (like
wget, in this case).  The latter defines LANG as a shell variable that
is not propagated.  (Run export LANG to propagate it.)

However, none of this should matter.  tlmgr already sets LC_ALL=C before
running wget when it needs to, which should override any user settings.
In the case where you're seeing French output (TLDownload::get_file), it
is looking at numeric codes, not strings.  As far as I can see.

What the actual problem is, I do not know :(.

Best,
karl