[tex-live] Hi! I don't arrive to build texlive from the source, could you help me?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 21:21:34 CET 2011

2011/1/23 T T <t34www at googlemail.com>:
> On 23 January 2011 15:42, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd)
> <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
>>

>> Philipp Stephani wrote:
>>
>>> NTFS has supported hard links and directory junctions since 1999 and
>>> Unix-style symbolic links since 2007.
>>
>> The problem is (if recent tests suggested by Reinhard
>> are significant) is not the lack of support for links,
>> directory junctions, etc., but that the standard unpacker
>> used for TeXlive files is not aware of these.
>
> What problem?  Would NTFS links even work on *nix systems?  Until
> recently NTFS on Linux was mounted read-only out of fear of data
> corruption.  And even if NTFS links do work on some systems, will they
> work on all of them?  Do you suggest we should blindly support some
> obscure feature, just because it's there?  For what benefit?  C'mon,
> let's get real.

If you have dual boot and NTFS partition created by Windows is mounted
in a *nix system, it might be a problem. If a Windows machine shares a
directory and it is mounted in a *nix machine through samba, situation
is quite different. The *nix machine does not require any support for
NTFS, it just makes use of a network file system. *nix gets what
Windows offer. My Linux machine does not recognize NTFS at all, yet I
have RW access to disks shared from Windows machines.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/