[tex-live] Problem with ltmgr?

Marc van Dongen dongen at cs.ucc.ie
Tue Jan 18 11:32:30 CET 2011

Howsagoin,

I just used "tlmgr update --all" to upgrade my TL installation. I have
to run it as root because the TL directory is owned by root.

When I then ran texdoc I got an error.
$ texdoc expl3
...r/local/texlive/2010/texmf/scripts/texdoc/search.tlu:472: bad
argument #1 to 'lines' (/usr/local/texlive/2010/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb:
Permission denied)

It turned out I could fix this by recursively changing the file
permissions of the main TL directory to 755.

I assume that tlmgr uses the UMASK settings of the user who's running
the command. Am I right? If yes, then I'm not sure if this is a
desirable feature because it would always require additional work if
the main TL directory is owned by root. Wouldn't it be nicer if one
could install TL with some form of option which determines the file
protection mode of the main TL directory? (If there is such an option
then I apologise because I never noticed it....)

Anyway, having tlmgr is much more useful than having to upgrade by
hand!

Regards,

Marc van Dongen