[tex-live] scheme modern

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sun Jan 9 13:16:41 CET 2011

Hi all,

answer to Tomek's and Norbert's mail in one message:

T T wrote:
> On 8 January 2011 15:27, Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de> wrote:
>> As far as I can see, there are three important points to clarify:
>>
>> • What is the purpose of a "modern" (however we call it) scheme?
>> • What should be in this scheme?
>> • Can we save space at all?
>>
>> • First point is easy as it is my personal reason: I give introductory
>> curses at the university (as a regular course, i.e. 3 months with sheets
>> and ECTS-credit points) that goes quite beyond "type this and you get
>> that". This summer, it will be based on luaLaTeX and therefore I thought
>> it would be nice for the beginners not to have to install the full
>> scheme but a somewhat (as much as possible) smaller installation without
>> loosing any functionality – of course without the possibility to compile
>> old documents. For that, they can upgrade to full.
>> The intention is to keep the necessary number of files as small as possible.
>
> Would such a scheme have a broader appeal beyond your course?  We are
> obviously not going to introduce an additional scheme just for your
> specialized course!

Of course, and I would not have asked in that case! It was just the
reason I came up with this idea having in mind it could be useful for
every LaTeX beginner or everyone who only works with "modern" things.
The question was *not* for my personal needs! Otherwise I would have
proceeded as Norbert suggests:

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Why don't you:
> 1. start with a minimal scheme
> 2. add what you need (or you think you need)
> 3. test all your examples, code you provide, etc, if something is missing,
>    go to point 2.
> 4. tell your students:
>    - please install scheme-minimal plus the following packages: ...
> ?

Because that would be ok for my personal course, but not for the other
users out there. It was for them that I was asking.
For the course, I think I might proceed that way, might be interesting
to grow the LaTeX-setup step by step :)

>> I hope I have made my points a bit clearer so the discussion can go into
>> a straight direction.
>
> The straight answer is: Nobody knows until you try it out yourself!

Ok, so from your answes I conclude: There is not much
interest/necessarity/possibility to provide a smallish "modern" scheme.

Maybe I'll come back to this in a few months if I have more concret
suggestions ando some testing, so far,

thanks for all the answers and your time,

cheers
Arno