[tex-live] scheme modern

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Jan 7 16:01:45 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 12:44:39AM +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> 2011/1/6 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> >> Libertine and Luxi (they come with Linux) contain both Arabic and
> >> Devanagari characters, I have not checked other script.
> >
> > Neither have Arabic glyphs (and I doubt about Indic too), most likely
> > you are seeing substituted glyphs from other fonts.
> >
> It seems that font rendering in Linux is much bigger mystery than I thought...

Not that mystery :) most self respecting apps will be using fontconfig
(either directly or indirectly through toolkits) and will always try to
show the user the requested glyph as long as there is a font installed
have it.

If you are using Gnome's character map, right clicking any character
cell will tell you which font the shown glyph is taken from and so you
know if it comes from the current font or some fallback.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny