[tex-live] scheme modern

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:22:34 CET 2011

2011/1/6 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> On 6 January 2011 Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>  > TikZ is very complex package. Beginners will hardly be able to use
>  > it.  Users who are able to use TikZ will probably need a lot of
>  > other packages.
>
> TikZ is used by pgfplots.  And I know beginners who use it *because*
> it's easy to use.  If you don't point them to pgfplots, they use Excel
> instead and then ask you how to get this stuff into their LaTeX files.
> Good luck!
>
>  > I have scheme-full installed. The size of the whole texmf-dist is
>  > 2.4 GB while the size of texmf-dist/tex containing the packages is
>  > only 172 MB, ie about 7% of total size. If you do not remove the
>  > largest packages as TikZ and fonts, you hardly save any space. If
>  > you do not want to remove TeX Gyre, you can probably remove support
>  > for Arabic and Asian languages, it may save some good space.
>
> But many people use XeTeX/LuaTeX in order to typeset Arabic and Asian
> scripts. :)

You are right, we are lacking the answer for the most important
question: What are the requirements of the users who would like to
have reduced-size distribution? Without an answer to this question it
is impossible to say what to remove.

> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz