[tex-live] scheme modern

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Thu Jan 6 14:38:43 CET 2011

Am 06.01.2011 um 11:38 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:

> 2011/1/6 Uwe Siart <usenet at siart.de>:
>> Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de> writes:
>>
>>> I was wondering if it might be considered for the next TeXlive (2011 I
>>> hope) to provide an installation scheme "modern". This could be a
>>> scheme providing everything needed to work with, say, XeLaTeX,
>>> luaLaTeX, ConTeXt Mk IV etc. but drops a (quite large) number of old,
>>> deprecated packages (e.g. inputenc/fontenc for LaTeX).
>>
>> I'd call such a scheme "beta" rather than "modern". IMO the time is by
>> far not ripe to designate LaTeX and its packages "old and deprecated".
>>
>>> (I'm /not/ suggesting to drop those packages at all from TeXlive!)
>>
> I am not sure whether such a scheme will save much space. Of course
> you will not need fontenc and inputenc. In unix systems you will not
> save space by removing executables bcause they are just hard links.

Well, the tex and pdftex executables could go. Still at most a few megabytes.

> I think you probably save just a few megabytes but lose possibility to
> process someone else's files that assume LaTeX with inputenc and
> fontenc.

Not to mention that these two are part of the LaTeX kernel and thus must be provided even in the most minimal distribution.

What could be more fruitful is removing all Type-1 fonts and the corresponding supporting files:

/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts $ du -ks * | sort -rn
335580	type1
171264	afm
139912	tfm
71792	opentype
43696	source
34088	vf
18080	cmap
14656	truetype
11276	misc
10156	ofm
4236	map
2812	enc
2692	ovp
864	sfd
856	cid
488	ovf
212	pk
24	fea
12	pfm
4	data

A "modern" scheme could get rid of at least the type1, afm, tfm, source, vf, cmap, ofm, map and enc directories. On my system (MacTeX 2010 with the full scheme) these sum up to 742 MiB.